Do you want to make your LinkedIn profile stand out from the crowd? You can add a video to your LinkedIn profile for free. There is no need to upgrade to the paid for Premium version of LinkedIn to add a video when you can take advantage of a feature in the Slideshare, the web based PowerPoint sharing platform.
Whether you want to present your own company introduction, or show client testimonials, videos are a powerful way to market your business.
Step by step guide to get a video on your LinkedIn profile
1. Create an account on Slideshare. Here is a link to show an example of our Hallam Slideshare account
2. Create the video that you want to display and upload it to your YouTube account. Here is a link to our Hallam channel as an example
3. Add the Slideshare application to your LinkedIn account. To do this, login to your LinkedIn account. Hover over our name at the top right, and choose Settings. Now on the tabs on the left choose Groups, Companies & Applications. Finally, choose Add Applications, and from the list choose SlideShare. You will link Slideshare to your LinkedIn account.
4. Add a presentation on Slideshare. This presentation is a “container” for your video. I recommend that you create a single slide with your company information that will show until somebody clicks to play the video. Or it can be blank if you want the video to play automatically. Or it could be a full Powerpoint presentation and the video is just part of a larger story.
5. While you are still in Slideshare, edit your presentation and you will be given an option to Edit YouTube Video. This is where you insert the video that created in step 2.
- your video address will need to look something like this, with the word “watch” in it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6gLlfX9qJA
- you can choose the position where you want the video to play: before the first slide, after the first slide, or at some point during the presentation
6. Finally, go back to your LinkedIn account. Edit your profile, and you will see the Slideshare application. You can choose which video you want to play. Under the “Profile Settings” category, make sure to select “Show complete presentation in player”