Linking your Google Ads account to your Google Analytics account will provide you with a greater range of visitor data, allowing you to analyse the activity on your site once a visitor has landed on your website via a click on an ad.
Google Ads conversion tracking allows you to see how your campaign is performing in line with your business goals, but by linking Google Ads to Analytics you will be able to import Goals configured in Analytics as a conversion.
In addition, it becomes possible to see how many people have visited your site from your adverts, which pages they visited, the amount of time they spent on your website, and where they exited your website. This will paint a better picture of how Google Ads is working in relation to your website.
Before you attempt to link your Google Ads and Analytics account, there are a couple of key considerations:
1) The Google Account that you are using to set up the link must have access to both your Ads account & Analytics account. If the account only has access to one, then give it access to the other.
2) Your account must have the necessary administrative permissions to enable linking of Google Ads and Analytics. This is Admin Access in Google Ads and Edit Access in Analytics.
There are a couple of ways you can link Google Ads to Analytics, but the simplest method is as follows:
1) Log into your Google Analytics account and click on the ‘Admin’ button in the bottom left corner of the screen.
2) Ensure that your Google Ads account has access to the Analytics property by selecting the ‘User Management’ button and checking that the email related to your Google Ads has edit access to Analytics.
3) Click on the ‘Google Ads Linking’ button located below property management, and select the ‘+ New Link’ option.
4) Select the AdWords account to which you would like to link and click ‘next step‘.
5) Select which Analytics views you would like AdWords to be linked to – this will also enable Auto-Tagging on your AdWords Account. Then click ‘Link Accounts‘.
6) You will then be presented with some information detailing ‘What’s next?’, which explains that it may take up to 24 hours for the Google Ads Link to begin.
That’s it! It’s really that simple to link up Google Ads and Analytics to each other. Now you’ll be able to import goals, view time on site metrics and much more. If you’d like any help understanding the kind of insights you can get with this linking process, please contact our PPC specialists.