AdWords conversion tracking allows you to see how your campaign is performing in line with your business goals, but by linking AdWords to Analytics you will be able to import Goals configured in Analytics as an AdWords conversion.
In addition, it becomes possible to see how many people have visited your site from your adverts, which pages they visited, the amount of time they spent on your website, and where they exited your website. This will paint a better picture of how AdWords is working in relation to your website.
Before you attempt to link your AdWords and Analytics account, there are a couple of key considerations:
1) The Google Account that you are using to set up the link must have access to both your AdWords account & Analytics account. If the account only has access to one, then give it access to the other.
2) Your account must have the necessary administrative permissions to enable linking of AdWords and Analytics. This is Admin Access in AdWords and Edit Access in Analytics.
There are a couple of ways you can link AdWords to Analytics, but the simplest method is as follows:
1) Log into your Google Analytics account and click on the ‘Admin’ button in the bottom left corner of the screen.
2) Ensure that your AdWords account has access to the Analytics property by selecting the ‘User Management’ button and checking that the email related to your AdWords has edit access to Analytics.
3) Click on the ‘AdWords Linking’ button located below property management, and select the ‘+ New Link’ option.
4) Select the AdWords account to which you would like to link and click ‘next step‘.
5) Select which Analytics views you would like AdWords to be linked to – this will also enable Auto-Tagging on your AdWords Account. Then click ‘Link Accounts‘.
6) You will then be presented with some information detailing ‘What’s next?’, which explains that it may take up to 24 hours for the AdWords Link to begin.
That’s it! It’s really that simple to link up AdWords and Analytics to each other. Now you’ll be able to import goals, view time on site metrics and much more. If you’d like any help understanding the kind of insights you can get with this linking process, please contact our PPC specialists.