Most website owners are aware of the requirement for an about us page to exist, however it can be easy to underestimate the power of the content included within this section of a website.
Your about us page is likely to be one of the more heavily visited pages on a website, so ensuring you include the right information is essential. The content within the about us section can also be great for search engine optimisation, so in this post I give my top 10 tips for optimising a websites about us section.
1) Company History – Informing your visitors and potential customers of how long you have been around provides reassurance that you are a professional and established outfit. Try to tell the story of your company in a concise and organised fashion, include a handful of paragraphs on when the company was founded, the reason why it was founded and how you have progressed as a business – Guttridge LTD even developed a graphical timeline and brochure to celebrate 50 years in business.
2) Key Services – No doubt you will have a specific, well optimised pages to demonstrate your services in detail, so use your about us section to summarise your core services and activities into a couple of short paragraphs or bullet points.
3) Meet The Team – Most people like to know who they are dealing with, so including information regarding your staff is a great way to put faces to names. Consider providing each member of staff with their own bio page which briefly demonstrates their experience and history. Feel free to take a look at Team Hallam’s meet the team page and how we have structured this section of our website.
4) Certifications and Accreditations – If your business has ever earned any accreditations, won any awards, or your staff member have achieved any certifications, then your about us page is perfect place to showcase these details.
5) Testimonials and Reviews – Including testimonials and reviews on your website act as a great trust signal and can positively affect conversion rates. Testimonial and reviews are also great for SEO because it gives you a chance to provide Google with structured data, giving your content the chance to display rich snippets in the search engine results.
6) Press and News Links – Your about us section can provide the perfect area in which to display news specific to your business separately to industry news or general blog posts, enhancing the visibility of this content and giving potential visitors the chance to read about the positive things your business has been up to.
7) Events – Much in the same way as press exposure, why not use your about us section to create a schedule of your upcoming events? If you are attending any exhibitions, marketing events or industry conferences then include these within your about us section to raise awareness and demonstrate that you are active within your industry.
8) Internal Linking – Visitors may visit your about us pages searching for information that may in fact be located within other areas of your site – in which case, help them out by pointing them in the right direction. It’s not uncommon to see about us pages linking to policies and important documents.
9) Employment Opportunities – If you are on the lookout for new members of staff then let people know by advertising for free on your own website. The about us page is the perfect place for candidates to learn about your business so it makes sense to advertise your vacancies there too.
10) Calls To Action – Once a potential customer has browsed all of the great content on your about us section and figured out just how good your company is, they may be ready to make a purchase or enquiry. Use well placed call to actions within your about us section to point people in the right direction and don’t solely rely on them going directly to your contact us page.
I hope you find this post useful, and if you have any other suggestion of things to include within the about us section of a website then please feel free to post in the comments below. Of course, to find more out about Hallam then please visit our about us page.