Twitter launched its latest feature last week, Moments, which allows users to easily see the biggest and best stories of the day.
The aim of this new feature is to address the main issues for Twitter:
- Difficult to pick up as a new user.
- It works best when you check it constantly (but who has time for that?)
Twitter Moments is a form of content curation. It presents the best content from across the web in a meaningful and organised way. You may already be using this as part of your digital marketing strategy through regular curated blogs (e.g. The Huffington Post shares a regular round up of weekly science news), email marketing (through weekly or monthly newsletters, e.g. Search Engine Land’s weekly SEM, Local or SEO newsletters) or just the content you share across your social channels.
How Moments Will Work
The Twitter app on your phone will be updated to include a new lightening bolt tab, which you can click to view the Moments that are important at that specific time. This will be updated throughout the day, as new stories break, and you can swipe though topics such as Entertainment and Sports to find even more stories relating to these topics.
To view Moments, click on the Moment you would like more information about, and you will be able to do the following:
- View a title and description of the Moment.
- Swipe to view full images, autoplaying videos, Vines and GIFs relating to the story.
- Single tap to view specific tweets in full, or double tap to instantly favourite a tweet.
- A progress bar highlights how much more information there is left to peruse about the Moment.
- Dismiss the Moment by swiping up or down.
- Share the Moment, including your thoughts on the topic, with your followers.
Some Moments will regularly be updated when new information becomes available, such as sporting events and award ceremonies. You will be given the option to follow the story, so the latest Tweets are integrated in your timeline. Once the story is over, the Tweets will end, and no longer display in your timeline.
Twitter Moments is currently only available in the US, but they are working on expanding Moments globally.
How Will Twitter Moments Benefit Your Business?
It is not currently clear how this new feature will benefit your business as it mainly seems to be targeted at new users to help them get up to date with what is happening on Twitter at the moment, sharing content and finding new users to follow.
Twitter have a curation team who are following a set of guidelines and principles for putting together and creating Moments. You may want to take the following aspects of their guidelines in to consideration when creating content and crafting tweets in response to current news or trending topics when Moments becomes available in the UK:
- Selecting Great Tweets – The curation team will be looking to feature great content that has been created by the people on Twitter
- Bias, Accuracy, and Standards – Moments will feature “compelling, original and diverse content”
- Style Guidelines – Moments represent a “diverse range of voices and is comprised of a wide variety of media”