In March 2015, YouTube introduced interactive cards, which will eventually replace the interactive annotations tool you see pop up on some videos.
Unlike annotations, cards will be displayed on both desktop and mobile devices. And with 50% of YouTube views coming from mobile devices, this is certainly a step in the right direction.
Cards allow the creator to add an extra layer of interactivity to their video content, which is really exciting. Most importantly, the cards will be mobile-friendly, and offer you the choice to include custom images, titles, and call-to-action text.
There are six different kinds of cards currently available:
Associated Website Card: Link directly to your associated website from a card
Fundraising Card: Link viewers directly to projects on whitelisted fundraising sites
Merchandise Card: Promote your licensed merchandise
Video or Playlist Card: Link to another public video or playlist
Channel Card: Link to a channel that you’d like to make known to your viewers
Fan Funding Card: If enabled, this card allows your viewers to make a monetary contribution directly from the video page
Find out how to add YouTube Cards to your videos in 5 simple steps:
1. Sign into your YouTube Video Manager, and choose one of your videos to edit:
2. Next, click “Cards” from the top menu board:
Once clicked, this will provide a drop menu of the available card options for your account. Please note, I have not activated the Fan Funding Card, but this can be enabled via the status and features page for your channel.
3. Choose Your Card
From the drop down menu, select the type of card you would like to add:
Once you have selected your desired card, follow the on-screen instructions. In this example, I’ve selected the Associated Website Card:
In this example, as we have chosen to create Associated Website Cards, we have entered www.hallam.co.uk as our target website URL. But these steps are fairly similar for all YouTube Card options, once you have filled out all the required fields, click create card:
5. Start Time Adjuster
Using the slider along the bottom of the screen, you can manually adjust the start time of the card teaser. YouTube will flash the title of your card next to the static “i” button for a few seconds:
Now that you have successfully added cards to your YouTube videos, when the “i” button is click or tapped, it will open up a small interactive panel:
YouTube states that creators can add up to 5 cards to one video. The cards themselves can be edited at any time; just click on the ‘pencil’ icon next to the card in question, located in the cards tab. Cards can also be deleted at any time.
The Main Benefits of YouTube Cards:
- Video Cards allow you to create and promote a number of different features within your video.
- Channel Cards can keep viewers on your channel for much longer, as you can target them with related videos.
- Associated Website Cards can direct viewers to your website or another associated URL, converting them into a website customer.
- Merchandise Cards can provide a link to specific product that you or someone else is selling using a picture, title and call-to-action.
- Fundraising Cards allow you to directly link to a supported fundraising page using a thumbnail image and title.
- Fan Funding Cards allows viewers to directly contribute to a creators channel whilst viewing the video.